Monday, August 20, 2007

What a Wonderful World

I have been experiencing one of the cooler things to happen to me in this life today. The story goes something like this:

About a month ago I nominated the author of a blog that I read daily (www.feministing.com) and a book that I enjoyed very much (Full Front Feminism) for the Glamour Woman of the Year Award. Then, about a week ago, I got an email from a staff member at Glamour asking if she could get more information from me regarding my nomination and some photographs of the woman (Jessica Valenti) I nominated. My back and forth with this staff member made me think perhaps Jessica was seriously being considered. The staff member was clear in that she could not say if Jessica was going to make the 'finals' (all finalists are asked to attend a black tie gala in New York City in the fall with the person who nominated them - that would be me), but that I should watch Glamour's website in the coming weeks to see if that was the case.

THEN! Then, then, then...this morning I get a phone call from another staff member at Glamour asking if she can interview me about my nomination. But of course! I happily (and hopefully intelligently) answered all of her questions and explained that, thanks to Jessica's writing and activism, I was considering going back to school myself in order to pursue a passion and take my writing more seriously. At the end of the conversation the Glamour staff member had to get all of my contact information including a physical mailing address which makes me think Jessica might actually be a finalist! Which would be absolutely amazing.

Past winner include amazing women (activists, politicians, environmentalists), and plenty of good intentioned celebrities too (Queen Latifah, Sandra Bullock, Katie Couric). If I get to go to the ball I bet I will take some amazing photos! (And I will get my camera in if I have to hide it up my dress, taped to my body).

No comments:

 
Copyright 2009 eringee